The 157th Convention of the Diocese of Long Island was held Friday November 10th and Saturday November 11th at the Melville Marriott.
Bishop Ottley's Remarks to the 157th Convention
Bishop James Ottley, who assisted Bishop Orris Walker, visited the Convention for the first time in several years. Bp. Ottley, whose life of ministry includes having served as Anglican observer at the United Nations, recently published his second book, A Theology for All Time: Love, Justice, Equality. A video of Bp. Ottley’s remarks to Convention is available here.
Iglesia de San Francisco admitted as mission of the Diocese
Iglesia de San Francisco, formerly known as Centro Franciscano, was officially admitted as a diocesan mission. The 200+ congregation has been growing steadily under the leadership of the Father Gerardo Romo-Garcia who has worked closely with Rural and Migrant Ministries to provide spiritual and practical support to the many predominantly Spanish-speaking farmworkers on the east end of Long Island.
Recognition of the Chapel of the Incarnation
Convention recognized “Incarnation Chapel," a re-established worshipping community launched by the Cathedral at the former St. Mary’s in Carle Place. The mission venture led by the Revs. Mark Kowalewski and Daniel Ade, co-deans emeritus of St. John’s Cathedral in Los Angeles, will be a center for worship, study, and mission.
Nancy Signore recognized for 40 years of service
Nancy Signore, Human Resources Manager, was celebrated for her 40th anniversary working in the bishop’s office.Nancy is the longest-serving staff member of the diocese.
2023 Recipients of the Bishop's Cross
At the Convention Banquet on Friday November 10th, Bishop Provenzano awarded the Bishop’s Cross for Distinguished Diocesan Service to the Rev. Cn. Karen Davis Lawson, the Rev. Cn. Joseph Pae, Sharon Brown-Veillard, and Gerald Potter. Each recipient has served the diocese faithfully for over ten years, providing leadership and dedication to the Diocese and the wider community.
Propositions and Resolutions
- Proposition 2023-P1: Amend TITLE II, CANON 4, Section I THE DIOCESAN CONVENTION
- Proposition 2023-P2: Amend TITLE II, CANON 4, SECTION II THE DIOCESAN CONVENTION
- Proposition 2023-P3: Amend TITLE II, CANON 4, SECTION III THE DIOCESAN CONVENTION
- Proposition 2023-P4: Amend TITLE III, CANON 1, SECTION V THE SECRETARY OF THE CONVENTION
- Proposition 2023-P5: Amend TITLE VI, CANON 1, SECTION II STANDING COMMITTEE
- Proposition 2023-P6: Amend TITLE VII, CANON 5, SECTION I THE COMMISSION ON MINISTRY
- Proposition 2023-P7: Amend TITLE VIII, CANON 1, SECTION II THE BOARD OF MANAGERS OF CAMP DeWOLFE
- Proposition 2023-P8: Amend TITLE VIII, CANON 3, SECTION III EPISCOPAL MINISTRIES OF LONG ISLAND
- Proposition 2023-P9: Amend TITLE VIII, CANON 5, SECTION II THE MERCER SCHOOL OF THEOLOGY
- Proposition 2023-P10: Amend TITLE VIII, CANON 6, SECTION III THE TRUSTEES OF THE ESTATE BELONGING TO THE DIOCESE OF LONG ISLAND
- Proposition 2023-P11: Amend TITLE VIII, CANON 7, SECTION III EPISCOPAL COMMUNITY SERVICES OF LONG ISLAND
Floor Resolution: Motion that this convention of the Diocese of Long Island officially affirms the ministry of Iglesia de San Francisco and this diocesan community places a priority of finding them a home in this coming year.
Photos from the Convention
Photography by: Matthew Prichard