Confirmation is sacramental rite in which the candidates "express a mature commitment to Christ, and receive strength from the Holy Spirit through prayer and the laying on of hands by a bishop" (BCP, p. 860). Those who were baptized at an early age and those baptized as adults without laying on of hands by a bishop are expected to make a mature public affirmation of their faith, recommit themselves to the responsibilities of their baptism, and receive laying on of hands by a bishop (BCP, p. 412). Adults baptized with the laying on of hands by a bishop are considered to be confirmed.
- Celebration of Confirmation
- Sample Bulletin
- Post-Confirmation Form (to be submitted to Deirdra Beaman following confirmation)
There are certain steps that must be observed in order for an Episcopal clergyperson to officiate at the marriage of persons when one or both have been previously married. These steps are canonical (Title I, Canon 18) and procedural in nature.
The following must be submitted to the Bishop’s office at 36 Cathedral Avenue, Garden City at least 60 days in advance of the proposed date of marriage:
- Completed Application: Petition to solemnize the marriage of persons one or both of whom have been divorced
- Copy of final civil divorce decree (nisi is not acceptable, must be final)
- Declaration of Intent signed by couple
- Letter of support of clergy